caret icon Back to all discussions

Now Closed! PsA Awareness Month Shoes Giveaway!

The PsA Awareness Month 2022 Giveaway is now closed, but we still welcome community members to share their experiences with PsA by answering one of the below questions. Thank you for your interest!
It can be tough to find a comfortable shoe when living with psoriatic arthritis (PsA). Swelling, pain, and stiffness can make it difficult to walk, especially without good shoes. In honor of Psoriatic Arthritis Awareness Month this May, we are giving away a $100 gift card to purchase HOKA shoes, a brand that many community members have recommended.
Enter to winFor a chance to win PsA Awareness Month 2022 Giveaway:
Reply to this forum thread and answer 1 of the following questions:Being as descriptive as possible, how would you explain the PsA symptom that is currently impacting you the most?How much do you usually tell others about your PsA?What question do you get the most about PsA from others and how do you usually respond?Reply to this thread!Please note, that you need to have a free Psoriatic-Arthritis.com account to reply to forum threads! Create an account here if you don’t already have one.For 1 bonus entry, share your story on how psoriatic arthritis has impacted your life.Share your story!The giveaway ends on Tuesday, May 31 at 11:59 PM ET. The winner will be notified via email. The winner has 48 hours to claim their prize before an alternate winner will be selected.
For more information, please read our Terms and Conditions. Good luck!

1. "Being as descriptive as possible, how would you explain the PsA symptom that is currently impacting you the most?" The symptom that has affected me the most, for years now, is definitely fatigue. I can work through joint pain, butter fingers, psoriasis patches, and swollen hands and feet, but the fatigue robs me of joy. Fatigue comes with brain fog and a disinterest in activities I used to love. The good thing about learning what causes extreme fatigue (PsA) is also learning to set limits to spending energy. I've become more assertive and protective of myself. By saying 'no' to something that will drain my energy and lay me up in bed, I may be able to enjoy birding or walking my dog. Maybe saying 'no' makes me a boring person to be around, but it does help me to find personal joy again. This leads to another area where fatigue has impacted my life - relationships, especially at work. Fatigue has caused me to volunteer to do odd jobs at work less often than I used to do. It is the hardest area for me to say 'no' in, but I simply have to do it. I don't feel a need to explain my reasoning to anyone, but a lack of explanation leads to less understanding and unmet expectations from others. In this way, PsA fatigue has touched every aspect of my life - spiritual, physical, emotional, and relational.

1. That is a great way to explain it @tofukate. Living with this disease we have to learn to say no. It's not easy but so worth it when it comes to dealing with the day to day. Vickie W., Team Member

2. "Being as descriptive as possible, how would you explain the PsA symptom that is currently impacting you the most? " I don't know if I am eligible to enter this because I have not been diagnosed with PsA. I believe this is what is causing my fatigue, sore, stiff joints, aching muscles, headaches that won't quit, swollen ankles and feet, trigger finger, memory problems, confusion, brain fog, trouble focusing and balance issues. With all of these problems in addition to the stiff, achy fingers and hands that won't hold on to things, feet that feel too sore to walk on and sometimes let me fall; you'd think surely one of these things is the symptom that impacts me the most. But it isn't. You would also think diagnosing this would be at least possible if not easy. But it's not. This is the thing that impacts me the most. Doctors and nurses start out listening then their eyes seem to glaze over. No one is willing to say the words unless another says it first. Frustrated, I go from one doctor to another, hoping this is the one who will step up and say "yes, you have PsA" or "no, you don't". The uncertainty and disappointment of not knowing if I will ever find an answer or have more than one good day in a row is what impacts me the most.

1. Hi @rosah, I can totally understand why this would be impacting you the most. Having to deal with all these symptoms with no answer as to why- is beyond frustrating. I really wish you could get a diagnosis and end this uncertainty. We are here for you! Jill, Team Member

3. The psa symptom affecting me most right now is the pain and swelling in my right foot. The pain in the ball of my foot feels like walking on hot coals and makes it difficult to walk and the swelling in my toes makes them very sore and hard to move. My only comfort right now is my hoka shoes with orthotic insoles and on really bad days I will also add memory foam inserts. Days of wearing heels and sandals are long gone.

1. I haven't yet but I think I'm going to start seeing individual Drs. Was hoping the ones I am seeing would be able to control my pain but I'm getting to the point of feeling like they aren't listening. My rheumatologist did today change my medicine around so I'll see how that goes.

2. Hi . I hope the change helps. Many people with PsA also see orthopedic doctors or podiatrists. They still consider their rheumatologists to be their primary doctors, but it can be so helpful to get an opinion from someone who views your pain differently. Best of wishes! - Lori (Team Member)

4. "How much do you usually tell others about your PsA?"
    Very little. Most people I interact with assume PsA is minor arthritis pain. They don't understand how your fingers swell every night so that it is hard to use them in the morning. Or that shoes are worn for comfort and not for style any longer. I stay weather aware as that it my worst trigger for a flare, but people often don't understand that I push through the hurt to be with them. I don't say these things to people because we all have things we push through to do what we enjoy or be with people we love. The details aren't so much important as the fact that I came to your party, even though it's going to storm and I will be hurting. Compassion and understanding are what's important. I'm fortunate that I have understanding people around me. Those who do not understand would not cate about the details anyway, so I don't let them bother me.

1. Hi @asandlin98. Living with PsA is very difficult. Having people not understand makes it more difficult. At least in this community everyone does understand and you are never alone. Sending gentle hugs your way. Vickie W., Team Member

2. I am with you, keep your spirits up!

Please read our rules before posting.