Living With Psoriatic Arthritis: Family Support & Treatment Journey

Hi, I’m Pat and I have PsA. I was diagnosed with RA in 1968, I was 18 years old. I left the doctor's office and cried on the 15-minute walk to the subway. I said to myself oh well and pretty much tried to ignore the diagnosis. I told my parents I’m fine and went on with my life. I had a life to live and live I did. I got married, moved from New York to Texas. Six months later, it all came crashing down. I developed a rash on my knee and elbows. I was in the process of getting my degree. I found a doctor and his diagnosis was PsA. It was 1977. My life changed. He did blood work and told me I was very sick. He prescribed medication and the journey began. I didn’t want this disease.

Starting a family with psoriatic arthritis

We worked together trying to find the right medication for me. In the meantime, through all the many hospital stays, I got my degree. We finally found a med that was working. Well, I discussed it with my husband and decided we would start a family. The doctor agreed. It took a year before I got off all the meds. The pregnancy went great. We had a healthy beautiful baby boy.

I had exactly 12 months to the day I became pregnant the PsA would return and return it did. I thought well I’ll go back on my meds and it will be fine. Wrong. The meds weren’t working as well as before. I pushed on, but my career had to go. It was difficult. PsA is a monster. I tried so many meds nothing was working. Anyway, we decided to have another baby.

Living with comorbidities

PsA went into remission, but this time it was different. I was raising a toddler. I gave birth to another healthy baby boy. My doctor said no more kids, the pregnancy took a toll on my body. It's been good, but it's been very difficult. Both my hips and knees have been replaced. 1992, 93, and 97. I’ve had a heart attack, cancer, broken bones. PsA has taken its toll. It wasn’t until 2000, I started a DMARD, it worked very well. Lasted a few years, had problems, was taken off.

Life after COVID

Started Enbrel, took a year to work, but it has been good. My last shot was April 13, 2020. On April 14th, I became infected with COVID. I thought that would be the end, but I survived. It did damage, but I’m still standing. Over the years, I read everything about this disease. I’ve taken vitamins, learned what foods I can and can’t eat. For me, food plays a great part in how I feel. I must say, I have been very fortunate my husband and two wonderful sons have always been there for me. I am very fortunate and thankful. I say this because my sons never knew me with my health. When you get an illness it doesn’t just affect you, it affects the family. I have had good doctors, it's very important they listen. I made it to my 70th birthday somewhat broken but I’m still standing. Listen to your body and find a good doctor. Find what works for you. Be safe.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

Please read our rules before commenting.

Community Poll

When it comes to living with multiple health conditions, I've found my: