caret icon Back to all discussions

Biologics therapy - Simponi (Golimumab)

Hi guys, I'm new here 😀 I've created this account for my boyfriend. He's been living with PsA for 21 years (since he was 15). But i'm still new to all these. I want to learn more about PsA so that I can help and support him better.

In the past 10 years, he barely took any medication for his PsA because of the potential side effects. Recently he's considering to give biologics therapy a shot. His doctor has prescribed Simponi to him. I've learned all kinds of scary side effects from google including risk of infection and cancer. I would like to hear some advice from someone who's been receiving biologics. I'm wondering if there's any way to lower the risk of infection/cancer, or if biologics is effective at all.

Also, as the shots are very expensive, he is trying to apply through his work drug plan and some government program. We are still waiting to see if he's qualified. Is there any other suggestions?

Thank you 😀)

1. Hi LittlePlum, welcome to the community 😀 It's so wonderful that you are looking into this to support your boyfriend - he is very lucky to have such a caring partner!

I don't have experience with Simponi, but something to bear in mind with the side effects is that not everyone who takes the drug will experience them. Hopefully we have some community members here who can share their experiences with you.

With regards to the financial side of accessing the medications, this information may be useful: https://psoriatic-arthritis.com/living/paying-for-cost-of-psa-care/

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. It's great to have you here!

- Catherine, Community Moderator

1. Thank you so much Catherine. Your words are so sweet 😀

1. Hi Plum,

I've been exactly where your boyfriend is right now. Suffering from PsA but reluctant to take a biologic, or any drugs really, because of the potential side effects. Some of which, yes, can be really scary.

I recently started Humira in December and it's made a HUGE difference with regards to my quality of life. Little nagging injuries I'd had for years started to heal up. My right wrist has been shot for years but two weeks ago I went bowling, something I never thought I'd do again. And I can turn my head when driving, which is nice, and I'm sure something the other drivers on the road really appreciate.

What gave me comfort when starting Humira was the study I read that compared it to a control group. And what I found was that the ONLY thing I had a greater risk of getting while on Humira than the rest of the population was a UTI. And that was only 0.03% versus 0.02%. Everything else, including lymphoma or leukemia, my risks are exactly the same as someone who's not on Humira.

Now I've only been on it for four months so things could always change but what I've come to realize is that rather than fearing the scary but unlikely side effects, I should have been fearing what the PsA was ACTUALLY doing to my body. Fear, and treat, the thing you have. Don't be afraid of the thing you don't have. That's my two cents.

1. You have to be very careful with statistics.

Let's say, for example (and this is just an example, I'm making these numbers up) a drug "DOUBLED" my risk of lymphoma. If that risk was only 1 in 100 then it's going to 2 in 100. Doubled SOUNDS scary but statistically speaking the odds are still very much in my favor that I would not get lymphoma. 98% in my favor.

2. , you hit the nail on the head! So glad you were vigilant and did your research (and that you're taking the time to share these insights with others). Very grateful!
          -Victoria, Community Moderator

2. Hi I am Caroll I just started Simponi aria 8 weeks ago get my 3rd infusion on the 11 So far no results
        .it did make me ache all over the first 2 times about a week after infusion

Please read our rules before posting.