The Miracle of Cannabis CBD Oil

It has been 11 months since I stopped using hydrocodone and ibuprofen for pain relief for my psoriatic arthritis. Not only have I stopped using prescription pain medication since starting CBD oil, I’m excited to say I can now do the following:

• Wiggle My Toes
  • Brush My Hair without crying
  • Sit cross-legged on the floor
  • Wear closed-toe shoes
  • Wear socks
  • Take out the garbage
  • Grocery shopping without riding a scooter
  • Get out of bed without screaming
  • Sleep, smile, laugh
  • Walk without a cane!
  • For the past 20 years, I have added more things I could not do to the list. But since I started taking CBD oil medication, I can do all of these things and more!

My journey to diagnosis

I am 56 years old, and have been struggling with PsA since I was very young. The psoriasis started when I was about 7 on my elbows. I was prescribed a thick gooey stinky tar to put on the patches. I don’t think that did much of anything. Since then, I have struggled with many flares, four of which covered my entire body. The arthritis began showing in my spine in 2000, and I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. In 2004 I showed signs I had arthritis in my ankles and feet. However, I was misdiagnosed as having ganglion cysts. It was not until 2009 that I was properly diagnosed with PsA.

By that time my immobility and pain had increased. I was frustrated and depressed. I had lived my entire life as a dancer and athlete, and followed a healthy anti-inflammatory diet, and thought I could never be so disabled.

Since 2004, my feet have been continuously swollen, which forced me to abandon closed toe shoes and wear flip-flops. I was living in Oregon at the time, so that was not an easy thing to do. When it snowed, I would wear an old pair of large men’s boots. I stopped running and started biking to keep in shape. I took up swimming, yoga, and Pilates, and cut back on dancing. But, I would have to take 2 ibuprofen or a 1/2 a hydrocodone to do any exercise. I kept thinking, if I keep moving, exercising and eating right, this will go away. But of course, it never did.

The doctors wanted to put me on some heavy medication for psoriasis right after my youngest son was born in 1996. They said I would need to take two forms of birth control, and get liver and kidney tests, and that it would lower my immune system. Even though I had had my tubes tied they said I would still have to take another form of birth control. I felt the side effects were too risky at the time so I refused.

My last all body psoriasis flare was October of 2014 and triggered by a strep infection. This psoriasis flare was by far the most destructive and debilitating. This time the psoriasis was on my neck and face, so when I went out in public I wore a scarf around my head and face, (something like a burka) and dark glasses to hide the bright red blotches. When I took a shower the force of the water was so painful I could only take baths. It felt as if I was wearing a wool sweater in 90 degree weather and that red army ants were randomly biting me. I was taking multiple toxic prescription medications. I had topical steroids for the psoriasis, as well as two types of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety pills, sleeping pills, ibuprofen, high blood pressure medication and hyrdocodone. I could not sleep more than a few hours at a time. This flare took two entire years to fade!

But as the psoriasis patches faded, my joints and tendons continued to deteriorate. In the fall of 2016, my skin was clear, but my pain and immobility took a radical turn for the worse. One day I got up, and could not put any weight on my left foot.The pain was deep in my heel and ankle and shot through my body to my head. At that point, I had to start using a cane every day. Then, the pain was in both feet, and that is when my son got me a walker!

I had also started to use an electric scooter in the grocery store. I began taking more hydrocodone and more ibuprofen. Up to this time, I was only taking hydrocodone once or twice a week. By November of 2016, I was taking 3 to 4 hydrocodone a day. But it did not work. I was also taking Sulfasalazine, which caused so much stomach pain I thought I would have to call 911 one night. I did not want to get out of bed, I did not want to eat. Everything hurt. I could not think. I could not sleep. I could not walk. I wanted to die.

That was the turning point to trying CBD oil. I admit, I had been reluctant about taking any medical cannabis, as I had been fearful of the side effects. I had not smoked any marijuana since I was 18 and I was anxious of being “high”, paranoid and not able to function. But at this point, I could not function. There were a few weeks there I honestly thought I was dying and I desperately was ready to try cannabis.

So, a friend gave me a CBD strain of cannabis to smoke. I really did not like smoking the cannabis, but did it anyway and happily I got a little relief. But it wasn’t quite enough and I did not enjoy smoking. My friend advised me to look into other forms of cannabis and to get my Medical Marijuana card . So in May of 2017, I got my card, and went to the local dispensary.

There where a lot of different CBD products to choose from. I started with a tincture, vape, capsules, and some chocolates. All of the products where high CBD with a small amount of THC. You can get CBD oil from both Hemp and from Cannabis/Marijuana plant. I live in California, so I can legally purchase Cannabis/Marijuana which contains both CBD & THC. Since I have not taken Hemp CBD oil, I can not comment on its efficiency.

Eventually, I ended up with the best results from a ‘Rick Simpson’ type of CBD oil. It is a concentrated thick sticky oil that comes in a syringe. I take it by squeezing out a dose the size of a grain of rice, 3 times a day. This CBD oil is a full extract cannabis oil and is a ‘High’ CBD oil with a CBD/THC ratio of 25:1. It is manufactured from California organically grown cannabis. The 3 gram syringe contains 2030 mg of CBD and 87 mg of THC. It is important to point out that THC has medicinal benefits that help with pain and inflammation. I have tried 3 different brands and I am happiest with one, but not inclined to mention brand names here. The cost of 3 grams is between $95 and $105, and lasts about 2 1/2 months.

When you eat the CBD/THC the effects last a lot longer then when you smoke. When you smoke cannabis, you will get an immediate response, however, it goes away in an hour or two. By eating it, you will get hours of relief, but it may take 2 to 3 hours to get feel the results. Sometimes, I will feel so good, that I forget to take a dose, and start to feel the pain. That is when I smoke a little, because I will get relief immediately, until the CBD oil takes affect. When you start taking THC, you might have a slight reaction, but by taking small amounts, you begin getting used to it, and not feel “high”. Also, the CBD helps in counteracting the “high” effect of THC.

To help me sleep at night, I take a small dose of 100% THC. I take this in the form of a very tasty chocolate bar and the dose is a bit smaller than a dime. The dosage I take is not enough to get me high, it just helps me get to sleep. I also make my own cannabis infused coconut oil, which I can spread on crackers or bread. I use this if I am out of the cannabis chocolate bar. I also use the canna-coconut oil as a topical on my joints and psoriasis patches as well. Even though the topical contains THC, you can not get “high” from applying it to your skin.

I have gone through so many positive changes in my disability since starting the CBD. The most amazing outcome is that the swelling in my ankles is gone! My feet were so swollen and inflamed for so very long, I can’t believe that it is gone! For years, I could not see my ankle bones. The skin was puffy, and sore, and if I touched it, it would leave an imprint. I could not wear socks, because it would leave a huge dent in my skin, and cause more swelling and pain. I could not wear closed toe shoes, because my feet could not fit in the shoe. For me, this is the most important change to my health I have had from taking cannabis. It not only alleviated the pain, but took away the inflammation, which was causing the pain to begin with!

Although I have had a tremendous amount of improvement to my health, I still have limitations. I continue to struggle with some immobility, as the disease caused some deformity to my left foot, so I still limp. I have disabled license plates for the car, which saves me a lot of energy for walking. I get tired if I stand too long and pain in my back if I walk too much. I avoid peak hours at the grocery store so and I refuse to multi-task. I can not ride a bike, or mow the lawn and I need at least 8 to 9 hours of sleep each night. I take one day at a time, and I try to focus on what I can do, instead of what I can’t do.

I have been playing catch up with all the unfinished projects and chores. I was able to finally put away the heap of clean clothes that piled up for the past two years and catch up on sewing and photography projects. Also, I am able to vacuum the living room, cook dinner and wash the dishes all in the same day!

I have hope that my health will continue to improve and I hope sharing my story will help others desperately in need of relief from pain, immobility and get back to living a full life. I am awe of the healing powers of cannabis, and grateful for all those pioneers who have been experimenting with medicinal marijuana. Fortunately, I live in California, where medical marijuana is legal and hope someday that it will be legal everywhere. Finally, I want to thank my friends, family, and medical marijuana consultants who encouraged me to give cannabis a try. Thank you, Luke, Anthony, Rick, David, Lincoln, Ricky, and Anna.

My quality of life has drastically improved and I refuse to waste all of this new found energy on unfinished chores. I’m ready to pick out a pretty clean blouse hanging neatly in the closet and go listen to my favorite local jazz band. Life is short. Laundry is forever.

Comments

View Comments (29)
  • AmyPaige74
    4 months ago

How to sensibly buy LEGAL cbd oil? Because I got a letter saying customs has confiscated my package two times already and I’m pissed.

• Eileen B moderator
    4 months ago

CBD will never clear customs into (or out of) the USA, @amypaige74. Sorry, I’m sure it’s super frustrating, especially when you’re in pain!

No matter the individual state laws, all cannabis products are still illegal under federal law. CBD (cannabidiol) is a component in cannabis — and yes, hemp is a variety of the cannabis sativa plant, just like marijuana. US Customs are run by the federal government, so they’ll confiscate all cannabis products.

Hemp is only legal in the USA as an industrial product grown for fabric and seeds, not for supplements.

Additionally, it’s good to know CBD products aren’t regulated in the USA for quality or efficacy, but the FDA issues warning letters to organizations caught selling products that don’t contain the levels of CBD they claim at https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm484109.htm. So be very careful if you’re shopping online!

Can you purchase CBD locally? Many states now have shops or dispensaries. That’d be your best option, hope this helps! -Eileen, Psoriatic-Arthritis.com Team

• Cristina16
    4 months ago

Been there done that. The only place where I was able to purchase cbd legally was this verified place here https://bit.ly/2D9bX36 Fast shipping, great quality.

• mikeandshelly
    5 months ago

I so appreciate your article. Your story is what my husband has been dealing with for years, right down to no longer being able to wear normal shoes. The patches cover about 90% of his body and he is in such pain and suffering every single day. I was so encouraged after reading your journey and what is working for you. We live in TEXAS and only have access to CBD oils, creams and edibles without any THC. Do you have any recommendations about a variety or strain of CBD oil that might be helpful? Any ideas on how or where to get the Rick Simpson that is in coconut-canna oil cream that helped you?

• strsmpsn2
    5 months ago

Could you send me the name of the salve brand you are using? 25 to 1. Many thanks and thanks so much for sharing your story. Wow. You have come a long way.

• KQ500 author
    5 months ago

I make my own topical. I use a double boiler method. First, I decarb (bake) the trim in a pyrex dish covered at 240 for about 60 to 90 min. Then, I put a pot of water on, and use a stainless steel bowl on top. Melt the coconut oil (unrefined , organic) in the bowl. Then immerse the decarbbed cannabis. The oil should just cover the cannabis. I put a lid on it, and simmer very low for 4 to 6 hours. If I need to go to the store, I just shut it off, and then continue when I come home. When the oil is done, I let it cool for about an hour. Then strain 1st through a small mesh strainer, then a 2nd time through a muslin cloth (or coffee filter) into very clean dry small canning jars. Cool for another 15 min, with lids on then refrigerate. The oil will solidify and should be a lovely green color. You can leave the coconut oil on the counter for weeks, unless your house is very warm, then I would put in the fridge. Warm temps will liquify the oil. I put 1 jar in bathroom for topical use, and 1 jar in kitchen for toast, crackers, popcorn…etc.

• Eileen B moderator
    5 months ago

Her story is so full of hope, isn’t it, strsmpsn2? I’m not a medical professional and can’t offer medical advice, so please discuss any new treatments with a doctor before trying them — everyone responds differently — but I can share some helpful information about shopping for CBD products.

First, it’s important to be careful with whom you shop for CBD (cannabidiol) products. CBD products aren’t regulated for quality or efficacy, but the FDA issues warning letters to organizations selling products that don’t contain the levels of CBD they claim at https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm484109.htm. Couldn’t hurt to keep it bookmarked if you’re shopping online.

There’s a lot of confusion out there about cannabis, so I hope you’ll forgive me if the following is information you already know.

Hemp and marijuana are both cannabis. Specifically, they’re varieties of the plant “cannabis sativa.” Marijuana can contain up to 30% of the psychoactive compound THC (tetrahydrocannabinol.) Hemp, by legal definition, contains less than 0.3% THC.

Conversely, hemp contains much more CBD, a non-intoxicating compound, than marijuana. In fact, studies have shown CBD has anti-psychotic properties. This is why many (not all!) CBD products are made from hemp instead of marijuana. The FDA recently approved its first medication made from CBD, and the press release is quite informative. Hope this helps! Stop by any time you have questions, we’re here. -Eileen, Psoriatic-Arthritis.com Team

• strsmpsn2
    5 months ago

Yes, very hopeful.
    Thanks for your information on CBD. I did try hemp CBD (various doses) and it didn’t help very much. The company was not on the FDA list.
    Also, I’ve been reading that CBD works best when combined with THC. I think this was mentioned in Time magazine’s special issue on Medical Marijuana

• Eileen B moderator
    5 months ago

There’s so much information out there about cannabis, @strsmpsn2, it’s hard to sort it out and keep up! Your comment about CBD combined with THC reminded me of this concise overview of Cannabinoid Compounds from the UK pharmaceutical company that developed the first CBD prescription medicine. It says,

THC has analgesic, anti-spasmodic, anti-tremor, anti-inflammatory, appetite stimulant and anti-emetic properties, whilst CBD has anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant, anti-psychotic, anti-oxidant, neuroprotective and immunomodulatory effects.

Because cannabis has been illegal in the U.S. for so long (and still is on the federal level) the American medical research is very limited — so I’ve found international sources the most informative. Also notable from that same link, “80 different cannabinoids have so far been identified but the role and importance of many of these has yet to be fully understood.” So, it stands to reason that different cannabis products from hemp to marijuana, each with its own unique cannabinoids, could have unique medicinal qualities.

It’s exciting the research is making breakthroughs and helping so many people feel better; hopefully you’re among them! -Eileen, Psoriatic-Arthritis.com Team

• qbnbabe
    5 months ago

Wow! So hopeful.
    I was diagnosed about a year ago. I had skin issues as a kid but not much as an adult. After my 1st child I developed “dequarvans” and tendonitis and went under the knife. 7 years later i was still suffering from wrist pain, and now arthritis in my fingers. Thats when I was diagnosed. Long story short, methotrexate and otezla and still nothing but diarrhea and head aches. I give my son Charlotte’s Web cbd oil for his autism and adhd. Its been a miracle. Ive been tempted to go on a trial myself but it’s not cheap. Would hate to waste his but I may have to try it after reading your story.
    I smoke pot, mainly tch, but it obviously doesn’t much for inflammation. I think Ill try my kid’s oil. How long to notice anything?
    Thanks for putting your story out. You could be giving other people their lives back.
    Hope you’re doing well!

• strsmpsn2
    6 months ago

Thanks so much for your helpful information. I would love to find the product you mention in Maryland. We just became legal for medical marijuana. Do you or anyone on this forum know where to find: : “CBD oil with a CBD/THC ratio of 25:1. It is manufactured from California organically grown cannabis. The 3 gram syringe contains 2030 mg of CBD and 87 mg of THC.” I have explored a few dispensaries but so far, I can only find 14:1 ratio CBD/THC in tablets, 40 tabs for $30. I would prefer the syringe.

• ClairG moderator
    7 months ago

@auntjana how are you getting along? – Clair, Community Moderator

• AuntJana
    7 months ago

Clair /
    Thanks for inquiring. After reading about KQ500 and using MMJ I have since started it. It is a slow process and I am still trying to find a dose that works with me. I am hopeful but not there.
    Thanis

• KQ500 author
    7 months ago

Hi Clair, Thank you for checking in. I continue to get better with the CBD/THC oil. I recently had an occasion that reminded me of how far I’ve come. I celebrated my son’s birthday in May, and had a great time. We went to the same restaurant as we had the previous year. The difference was, that I didn’t need them to help me walk to and from the restaurant this time! However, I still get nervous driving in heavy traffic and parking in San Francisco which is stressful for all drivers. I make sure I give my self plenty of time to get somewhere, look for parking, and then time to walk. I’m still a bit slow and stiff, but continue to be hopeful that I will improve more.

• KQ500 author
    8 months ago

I sent you an email with Brand information and dosage suggestions. Please let me know if you got the email. And…keep me up to date! Good Luck

• amyann
    4 months ago

Could you please send me the same email with brand info? My mother suffers terribly from this and I’m just trying to get her to a place so she can be herself again.

• AuntJana
    7 months ago

I lost your email…..could you send another note so I can reply to you?
    AuntJana

• KQ500 author
    7 months ago

Hi AuntJana, I sent you a copy of the last email.
    Let me know if you receive it. Hope all is well with you.

• McFadzean
    9 months ago

That was so fascinating to read KQ500. I have also been in constant pain for so long that sometimes it is hard to remember as some days go past in a blurr just trying to manage. My husband and I were in California 2 months ago and we happened to park outside of an unusual looking store and realised that it was selling cannabis. I had been looking into this for some time and so went in. I managed to get a girl who was so helpful in showing me the different types and strengths. After deciding that I was going to give this a chance I bought some CBD with THC. One was a bottle of oil and the other was a vial I can keep in my purse as well as some gummi bears. To begin with I was hesitant to try but after some trials I have found the amount that works for me. This is a miracle for me as it given me a new lease of life and am much more able to move around and use my hands. My only problem will be how to buy some more as I live in Idaho. The weather is not kind to us here this time of year as the changes in weather are not good for PsA. Look forward to reading more on this subject.

• KQ500 author
    9 months ago

Hi McFadzean,

Thank you for sharing your story. It helps me to hear others that have the same condition that I do and that have tried CBD and have results. I am also happy that you had a good experience with the lady at the dispensary. I I looked on line and found this about Idaho:

Also this, https://hightimes.com/news/idaho-getting-closer-legalizing-medical-cannabis/

Until you can legally buy Cannabis CBD with THC, your alternative is to find a Hemp CBD product. I have not tried any of these, so I can not comment on the results. These products are legal in all states. However, I will caution you to watch out for scams. Any company that is promoting their product, and asking you to be a representative is a scam. (kind of like a Ponzi Scheme). There are a number of sites on line that will review products, and talk about this type of organization.

Finally, there are many Youtube and online videos and stories that can guide you to make your own CBD/THC medicinal cannabis oil…..tinctures, butters, coconut oils, edibles, and “RSO” type oil. If you can’t buy it, you can make it yourself! I have been making cannabis infused coconut oil, olive oil, and butter. The oils are great to make a topical or balm to put on your skin. The butter is great for making crackers, candy, cookies and popcorn.

I wish you luck, and hope that your health improves.

• KQ500 author
    9 months ago

Vicki, Yes, you can share. Thank You.

• AuntJana
    9 months ago

Wow.
    That is so satisfying to read. So happy you found a way out! I live in PA and there are I believe 2 dispensaries that opened in March and closed their doors (temporarily) because they sold out in days. It has taken off but I don’t know the ins and outs. I think I will explore how to get a card—tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story and providing so many great tips, this disease is awful and I feel like I am slipping away.
    So happy for you KQ500

• KQ500 author
    9 months ago

Here is a link I just found for Pennsylvania.

• KQ500 author
    9 months ago

Dear Aunt Jana,

Thank you for your comment. I’m sorry to hear about your pain. This is a horrible disease…and you should not be slipping away. Hopefully, those dispensaries will open again. I’m not sure about PA, but you should be able to purchase on line, and have products delivered to you, that is if you have your MMJ card. Good luck, and keep me posted! ~ K

• AuntJana
    8 months ago

Hi KQ500

Have an appt to seek out card…

Can you please email me the Brand you finally had success with.? You and I have very similar health issues and I think your protocol could help me.

• VickiN moderator
    10 months ago

Love this story, @kq500! I hope you don’t mind if I share it with other community members when they ask about CBD? This is the perfect resource 🙂 Warm wishes to you, and welcome to the community.
    -Victoria, Community Moderator

• KQ500 author
    9 months ago

Vicki, Yes, you can share. Thank You.

• Rebecca moderator
    10 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing your story and for giving so many members hope! I love to hear success stories from members who are able to manage their pain. I recently started using CBD oil (not for PsA) as well and find the whole topic fascinating. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

• KQ500 author
    10 months ago

Rebecca,

Thank you for your comment. I hope my story leads others to try CBD oil! Also, I hope CBD oil is helping you, and would also like to hear how it is helping you.