Considering the Long-Term Safety of Biologics
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Psoriatic-Arthritis.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Side Effects of Biologic Medications, Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center. Available at https://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/arthritis-news/side-effects-of-biologic-medications/. Accessed 12/3/18.
- Solomon DH, Mercer E, Kavanaugh A. Observational Studies on the Risk of Cancer Associated with TNF-Inhibitors in RA: A Review of their Methodologies and Results. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2012;64(1):21-32. doi:10.1002/art.30653.
- Mercer LK, Galloway JB, Lunt M, et al Risk of lymphoma in patients exposed to antitumour necrosis factor therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register for Rheumatoid Arthritis Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2017;76:497-503.
- Silva-Fernandez L, Lunt M, Kearsley-Fleet L, et al. The incidence of cancer in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and a prior malignancy who receive TNF inhibitors or rituximab: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register – Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatology. 2016 Nov;55(11):2033-2039.
- Gross RL, Schwartzman-Morris JS, Krathen M, et al. A comparison of the malignancy incidence among patients with psoriatic arthritis and patients with rheumatoid arthritis in a large US cohort. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014 Jun;66(6):1472-81. doi: 10.1002/art.38385.
- Hagberg KW, Li L, Peng M, Paris M, Shah K, Jick SS. Rates of Cancers and Opportunistic Infections in Patients With Psoriatic Arthritis Compared With Patients Without Psoriatic Arthritis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2016;22(5):241-7.
- Humira prescribing information. Available at https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/humira.pdf. Accessed 12/3/18.
- Who does best on a biologic? How long do results last? National Psoriasis Foundation. Available at https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/biologics-work-best-for-who. Accessed 12/3/18.