Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

New here – Where to start?

I have had mild/moderate ulcerative colitis my entire adult life (in my mid-50’s now). My last bad flare was almost 2 years ago. After that, I developed some patches of itchy skin on my knees and elbows, and am increasingly experiencing joint pain. I now suspect psoriasis/PsA linked to my inflammatory bowel disease. My question is – where should I start to seek treatment? My gastroenterologist? Dermatologist? Rheumatologist? Honestly, it’s the joint pain that’s affecting me the most…

Community Answers
  • CathyD moderator
    1 year ago

    Hi @jlsa,

    Welcome to the community and thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you have dealt with a lot over the years!

    Usually a dermatologist would diagnose psoriasis and a rheumatologist would diagnose psoriatic arthritis. If you have a diagnosis of psoriasis prior to seeing a rheumatologist, that can sometimes make the PsA diagnostic process a little less complicated. We have some information on how PsA is diagnosed within this article, which I thought may be helpful:

    It certainly wouldn’t hurt to get the thoughts of your gastroenterologist too! Let us know if you have any further questions and keep us updated on how you’re doing!

    Warm wishes,
    Catherine, Community Moderator

  • Share Your Answer