Staying Positive When You Want to Scream
Anyone suffering from psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis knows it’s a constant battle to stay positive. Looking on the bright side of things for a silver lining can be hard when you’re in the middle of a flare-up and battling serious fatigue and in pain. It’s no secret that many people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis also deal with anxiety and depression and are constantly self-conscious. Add all of these things up and you have a recipe for stress, and stress is our worst enemy.
Daily doses of positivity goes a long way
I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.” Well that’s true, and daily doses of positivity can go a long way in combating the emotional rollercoaster that is life with this disease. Negative thoughts can weigh you down and stir up strife and anger that can all be directed at someone unintentionally, or maybe even at yourself. You don’t want to take out your frustration with psoriasis on your family or friends and you especially don’t want to be self-sabotaging.
There are moments in your life where you’ll find yourself bitter, crying, and practically screaming why did this happen to me? But this disease doesn’t discriminate and there is a world of people just like us, asking the same questions, feeling the same overwhelming emotions. Here is the bright side, the silver lining to this whole scenario: you have an entire community of people who know exactly how you feel and what you’re going through to talk to.
Positive energy is good for the soul
Knowing that you can encourage someone when they are down is purposeful and powerful, but most importantly it’s positive. This positive energy is good for your soul and for the universe. Plant seeds of goodness and positivity in your garden of life and you will reap the bounty of happiness that comes from being positive. It is also imperative that you get into a habit of encouraging yourself. It’s about balance and you can’t give without refilling yourself and making sure you take time out of your busy schedule to rest and rejuvenate.
Here are some great ways to stay positive and relax in the process:
- Affirmations – write up positive affirmations you can see daily. Love notes of inspiration filled with positive reassurance.
- Spiritual – becoming spiritual and praying helps more than you could imagine. Identify and associate with a teaching that uplifts your mind, body, and soul and let the calm soothing wash over you.
- Yoga – not only does yoga provide relief from pain/stiffness but it helps with the negative affects psoriasis causes to the body. Yoga is also a great way to clear your mind and reduce stress.
- Activities – many people dedicate so much time to work and to other people (like kids and spouses) they seldom, if ever do things they love. In order to stay positive you need to do things you love.
- Rest – when you are sleepy, tired and worn out it will be almost impossible to stay positive and that can lead to a downward spiral.
- Support – make sure you reach out to the psoriasis community not only to lend support but to receive it. Feeling part of a group that walks in your shoes can give you an outlet.
- Meditation – meditation is not only a great way to reduce stress but it is a good way to center yourself, develop emotional well-being, and strengthen your mind.
- Eliminate stress – identifying and eliminating stressors in your life is one of the most positive things you can do for yourself. However, you won’t always be able to eliminate stress entirely.
- Positive people – surround yourself with positive people. Yes, negative people are cancerous and have lasting negative effects on your mind. You need uplifting people in your inner circle.
So, the next time you want to scream or pull your hair out, try one of the methods listed above. Remember staying positive is a huge key to managing your disease and leading a successful life with the disease. There is so much documented evidence and personal testimonies from people with psoriasis that can attest, how staying positive has improved their life entirely.