Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Simple Injuries Aren’t So Simple With PsA

Simple Injuries Aren’t So Simple With PsA

One of the most painful lessons of living with psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia has been that there is no such thing as a simple injury. What may seem and even feel like a minor injury to someone else, sets off a chain reaction of pain throughout my body. Once upon a time I could knock my arm into a car door or bump it against the refrigerator and the worst that would happen is that it would bruise. Pain was only felt if I put pressure on the bruise. However, thanks to my chronic illnesses, pain is often felt throughout my entire body. It starts at the site of the injury and then quickly spreads to nearby muscles, joints, and nerves.

Risky business

Some people may be surprised to read this, but I am terrified of being injured. Not just major injuries, but minor ones like an ankle sprain, bruises, or jarring my back while tripping. In some ways I am a daredevil – I like testing my body to see what it can do, especially since finding a pain management plan that has gifted me with energy and little pain. Although I like to test my limits, I do so with great consideration. I weigh the risks of what I plan to attempt and then decide if it’s worth taking the chance at that moment or not. The problem is I am not in control of everything that happens to my body. Car accidents, people not watching where they are walking, or my cat walking under my feet are just a few things that can cause bodily injury and possibly land me in bed for months.

On alert

To limit how much time I spend recovering from reactionary pain from injuries that were not initially caused by my chronic illnesses, it is imperative for me to constantly think about every movement I make and of those around me too! Being aware of and anticipating the moves of those around me can be exhausting, but totally worth the prize of avoiding unnecessary pain. The alternative would be to walk around in a bubble wrap suit, never leave the house, or suffer one injury after another.

What are some ways that you prevent experiencing unnecessary pain?

Comments

• Cindysue04
    2 months ago

All my doctors tell me including the rhumy to do therepy… what a joke.

• ronda
    2 months ago

I could have written this article. Thank you for sharing. I just recently went to pain mgmt. after 3 Drs. recommend. (Rheumatologist, Neurologist and Infection Disease). Pain mgmt. wants to burn nerves which I am very concerned with. Could you share what your pain plan is? I would so appreciate some input. Thank you

• Kerry
    2 months ago

I really do not have one. I have a specialist but right now I do not take medication. I guess it would depend on if you have Rheumatologist. That is where I started, see what your options are.

• Rackmani
    3 months ago

Great article!

I suffer PsA and my friend is always saying I need wrapping in cotton wool; so I totally get it.
    My inflammatory markers have never been raised, and there have been no clear signs of inflammation for some time so I think the medical profession put a lot of these new issues down to mechanical pain, but i struggle to comprehend how such ‘minor injuries’ set me back so significantly.
    I always wonder if there these are minor inflamm reactions or perhaps as PsA suffers our central nervous system goes haywire (which I’ve read) leading us very sensitive to small changes/incidents. Either way I think this needs more research. I’m a physio by the way.

• Jaime Lyn Moy
    3 months ago

I totally agree! I’ve hurt myself lying in bed. Ridiculous! Guess it all goes with the territory of having psoriatic arthritis.

When I do manage to get out of bed with no injury (haha), then I take a few extra moments to stretch. I’ve noticed that I have less pain and less chance for injury when I take a few minutes to make sure the muscles and tendons are taken care of, too.

A doctor once told me that strengthening the muscles around the joints will put less pressure on the joints and help prevent injury. Of course, you should talk to your doctor because each patient is unique in what he/she should or should not do.

But then again, sometimes bubble wrap does sound like a viable option. 🙂 Keep your humor and hang in there.

• Birds5
    3 months ago

I did not know this ! I didn’t do anything a year ago and my L-1L-2 disc popped out I had surgery : now I did fall almost 2 months ago and it hasn’t healed : I am thinking more is wrong with my back I am wrong? It’s just this PA ? Going to new back doctor . Every time I go on the biological drugs I get sick cold pneumonia.whats a girl to do ? Bubble wrap sounds good lmao really didn’t know this ! do Doctors know this? Any advice?

• Jaime Lyn Moy
    3 months ago

My psoriatic arthritis began with a slipped disc. So painful! And why does it always take so long to heal? I totally get you. Hopefully your new doctor can give you some advice to ease the pain and figure out if it is PsA or if something else is going on. As for biologics, getting sick is a risk, but wow, the germs are really finding you! So sorry to hear that.

• Dedra Davis
    3 months ago

I fell in November, rolled my ankle and sprained it. I say sprained, I never actually went to the doctor. I could walk on it, so I thought I was fine. The swelling is still there now (January) and it hurts to touch it. I say all this because I am shocked how long it is taking to heal!

• KimPeta
    4 months ago

I’m hearing you Sister!!
    At the moment I am wearing a brace for my right index finger and knuckle that I bumped while trying to close a heavy sliding door at a friends house – 6 flipping months ago.
    Both my achilles tendons have been out of action for 14 months for no apparent reason. They are not getting any better and are just as painful as day 1.[I am beginning to think someone has a voodoo doll of me that they forgot about].
    I have done everything in my power to resolve this current situation and I am still not seeing a light. All my $$ are in the pockets of doctors, specialists, natural therapists, physio’s, big pharma, vitamin companies, chocolate makers and streamers of movies, etc.
    My main gripe is that ‘normal’ folk get frustrated and angry at me for not healing in an acceptable amount of time!!!
    I feel as though I am drowning, and every time I reach out for help, weights are put in my hands [hand :)] and I’m told to swim harder.
    But you know what, I’m all rah rah-ed out at the moment & need cave time.
    I’ll let you know how this reverse tactic works out.
    Until then, stay safe 🙂
    PS This is my first post.

• leap
    5 months ago

I was wondering what your pain management plan is.

• TessMoore
    5 months ago

I have not been a member very long, however, as I began to read THIS article I couldn’t help but to be a bit shocked because I had just told my Sister the other day that when I injure a particular part of my person (*& for me it’s hands & feet as I’m sure it’s many of the PsA Community &) I have noticed that I start to have bad joint pain in that are. For instance… I’m a “Canine Cosmetologist” & when I cut a finger (*which I tend to do a lot these days) I have found that intense joint pain is to follow & it has happened quite a lot recently & so much so that I was able to get the thought that it was connected somehow & as I read this it REALLY floored ME. I told my Sister this but I was not at all sure this could be. This article is so very accurate. The more I am studying over this chronic illness the more it scares me for my future. I am GRATEFUL that I happened upon THIS article & thank you for writing it.

• Jaime Lyn Moy
    3 months ago

A canine cosmetologist? I bet that’s an awesome career! Except for cutting your finger all the time. OUCH!

Are you on any treatment medications for PsA? Are you able to do anything to lessen the number of cuts?

It’s never easy when your work has physical demands on joints that aren’t happy. I’m a graphic designer and there are days that using the mouse for photo editing is super painful.

Our overactive immune systems are whacky, to put in nicely. I have a few other words I mutter under my breath that aren’t so PG.

• Lillypond318
    2 months ago

What is your pain management plan ?