The Stigma Around Pain and Medications
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Psoriatic-Arthritis.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Carr DB. Patients with pain need less stigma, not more. Pain Medicine. 1 Aug 2016; 17(8), 1391-1393. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/painmedicine/article/17/8/1391/2223343. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Cohem M, Quniter J, et al. Stigmatization of patients with chronic pain: The extinction of empathy. Pain Medicine. 1 Nov 2011; 12(11), 1637-1643. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/painmedicine/article/12/11/1637/1872879. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Opioid Overdose: Understanding the Epidemic. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html. Published August 30, 2017. Accessed December 3, 2018.
- Waugh OC, Byrne DG, Nicholas MK. Internalized stigma in people living with chronic pain. J Pain. May 2014; 15(5), 550.e1-10.
- Newton BJ, Southall JL, et al. A narrative review of the impact of disbelief in chronic pain. Pain Manag Nurs. Sep 2013; 14(3), 161-171.